I recently read John Stotts’ book “Why I Am A Christian.”
He shared a number of insights and I list them below:
He is a Christian because:
- God, the “Hound of Heaven” relentlessly pursues us because he loves us.
- Jesus claims are true. His claims have authority, yet humility.
- Jesus’ death on the cross is key because on the cross he took our place, bore our sins, paid our debt and died our death for our sin.
- Jesus offers glory and cleansing in place of shame, depravity and defilement.
- Jesus is the key to freedom – his crucifixion frees the past, as the living God he frees the present, and as the coming God he frees the future.
- Jesus meets our need as humans for transcendence, significance and community.
- God is revealed only by Jesus if we are open and humble enough to receive his authoritative truth.
Stott expands on these ideas in a clear, direct and helpful way. A book worth reading.